Saved! ASPCA Vets Rescue Puppy Who Ate Loaf of Raisin Bread

WinnieEarly last week, New York City resident Jeremy Sigall discovered his mischievous
six-month-old puppy, Winnie, had snatched a loaf of raisin bread from the kitchen
counter and completely devoured it, crumbs and all. The Welsh springer spaniel was
at grave risk for kidney failure—a common reaction in dogs who’ve eaten grapes or
raisins. Horrified and worried, Jeremy immediately called the Urbana, IL-based ASPCA
Animal Poison Control Center’s (APCC) 24-hour hotline.

The veterinary toxicologists who handled the call—Dr. Michael Knight and Dr. Susanna
Hawkins—determined the loaf of bread may have contained three tablespoons of raisins,
a sufficient amount to be toxic to most dogs. As luck would have it, Jeremy and his
wife live within blocks of the ASPCA’s Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital in Manhattan.
After consulting with the APCC, they rushed Winnie to the hospital for emergency care.

“Winnie’s parents had already called the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center—which was
so smart—so we already had a case number when we called to talk again,” says Dr. Emmy
Pointer, the ASPCA veterinarian who treated the pup. “We immediately induced vomiting
and got a good portion of the raisin bread up, then started IV fluids right away to
prevent kidney failure.” After three days of monitoring, Winnie’s test results showed
no subsequent signs of renal problems.

This carb-loving canine isn’t the first pet to invade her parents’ goodie stash. Nearly
20 years ago, APCC toxicologists started noticing a disturbing trend in their data
involving dogs who’d eaten grapes and raisins—nearly all developed acute kidney failure.
The chemical that causes this reaction hasn’t been identified, but it can be treated
successfully if pet parents are proactive like the Sigalls. Thanks to quick-thinking
parents and the seamless communication between the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
and hospital staff, Winnie is now home and healthy, enjoying a diet of strictly
“pooch-approved” treats.

Since the toxic potential of grapes and raisins is still an enigma, it’s best to
avoid feeding them to your pet in any amount or any form. Furthermore, never underestimate
your dog’s ability to raid the kitchen—keep all people food tucked away in hard-to-reach
cabinets. If you do suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous, call your vet or
the APCC’s hotline at (888) 426-4435. Worried about remembering all those digits? Order
our free APCC magnet—a cool way to keep the hotline close!



Animal Poison Control Center

As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the APCC is your best
resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make
the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $60 consultation fee may
be applied to your credit card.